This technique is pretty basic but I thought I'd cover it anyway. Honestly foil stamping beats this by a mile and results can be messy if you're not careful. It was the first time I'd done it, an experiment really. Hopefully I can refine it.

Grab some acetate and put double sided tape on the back.

Cut through the acetate hopefully without cutting the buckram

Peel back the section you cut.

Sponge in some acrylic paint, I didn't add anything like fixative or extra dyes. Try and get it as even as possible

LET IT DRY FIRST! and then peel it back (I didn't let it dry long enough thats why the right is a bit wobbly.